GUM DISEASE TREATMENT
Gum Disease Treatment in Sandy, Utah
Periodontal Disease, more commonly known as gum disease, is categorized by gum recession at the base of the teeth due to improper care or other diseases. If left untreated, gum disease may lead to loss of bone density and eventual loss of the tooth.
- Gingivitis: The first stage of gum disease, gingivitis can be treated and even reversed with regular dental checkups and proper brushing and flossing.
- Periodontitis: Following an untreated case of gingivitis, periodontitis can only be treated in a dental office. Dental treatments may include scaling, or a root plane.
- Advanced periodontitis: In the final stage of gum disease, teeth or segments of the gums may be damaged beyond repair, requiring surgery to remove the damaged tooth and restore the aesthetics of the mouth.
- Red and/or inflamed gums
- Gum tenderness and/or pain
- Bleeding during brushing or flossing
- Chronic bad breath
- Shifted or loosened teeth
- Gums separated from teeth
- Longer appearing teeth due to gum recession
Brushing and flossing irregularly, as well as avoiding regular dental examinations and cleanings, can contribute to the development of gum disease. Gum disease is 100% preventable with proper oral hygiene and twice annual dental checkups at Nate C. Lewis DDS click.